Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tiger Mountain - Issaquah, WA

One of my all-time favorite hikes has to be Tiger Mountain. It’s hard to choose a new trail to try when I could easily jump in the car and head an easy thirty minutes east to this glorious mountain that’s home to many hikers and mountain bikers. The first time I ever tried this trail was almost a year ago, last summer with my boyfriend Kyle. An avid backpacker and lover of the outdoors, he is truly the perfect match when it comes to a hiking partner. Our story went like this:


It was approaching noon on a rather normal overcast summer day here in Western Washington, and my boyfriend was visiting for the weekend before school started. I had heard some things about Tiger Mountain, and was really craving to check it out, so it was the perfect opportunity to spend some time with Kyle. The trail was pretty quiet, and we took our time soaking in the scenery and each other’s company. We hiked and hiked, and finally we approached a gravel road marking the end of the trail. It was either hike back the way we came, or continue with the unknown and see where the gravel road led us. The weather was clear, and I was still craving un-hiked territory, so Kyle let me make the decision of continuing on. A couple of miles into the leisurely walk down the gravel road, the rain started: not just a shower here and there, literally dumping down on us as we walked down the open path. We found another trail that we assumed led back to the other side of the mountain (where we started), so we took our chances. With time ticking, the sun going down, and a confusing switchback trail, it felt like we were going to be out there forever. 


Finally we made it to another gravel road and I swear, I remember it so vividly now and will forever, we booked it down that road. I had hurt my knee a little bit back in the trail, so I couldn’t run for too long before needing to stop and take a break. Kyle was so great with it all, and was so encouraging throughout the whole hike. While running down the hill I mentioned to him that I felt like we were on “Mantracker” or “The Amazing Race,” trying to escape the cowboy on the horse, or the team behind us to win the million dollars. We finally made it back to the car (10 and a half miles later) before sundown, soaked to the core but with huge smiles on our faces. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I was able to share it with one of the best people I know. 


A couple of months later, I hiked the same trail with my best friend, Olivia. It was a gorgeous trail, and I wanted to show her just how special it is. We were much luckier though, because the sun decided to shine for us and no rain jacket was needed. We took our time hiking through the mossy overhang of trees and muddy trails, while snapping photos of each other along the way. It took us a while to get up to the top, but the view was stunning. 











We took a Lunabar break, and soaked up some sun before using my previous knowledge in deciding to head back to the car while we had the chance. The walk back down was much faster, and the trail was a lot busier than when Kyle and I had gone. We made it back to the car with a huge “hooray!” and a high-five; thankful that it was now a very familiar trail that I could hike without any worries.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I proposed to my mom that we take our dog Holly on a walk. I was bored of walking around the neighborhood, so I suggested we try a hike, and none other than Tiger Mountain! With a pack full of snacks, water and doggy food, we were out the door and on our way. It was another gorgeous, sunny day and I was full of excitement, adventure and confidence in my knowledge of the trail. We pulled into a rather busy gravel lot and quickly made our way onto the trail. My mom quickly got things rolling with a nice trip over a stump in the trail, and I instantly began a count for how many times she stumbled over herself on the path. (Let’s just say it ended in the double digits). Holly was loving every second of this, and couldn’t get enough of her surroundings. We walked over bridges, up rocky inclines and through sticks and brush, but she never slowed or wanted to stop for anything. It was quite jaw-dropping, because she often refuses to walk with me down the street in our own neighborhood. This was the hiking doggy of my dreams!!! We made it to the top after just a mere forty-five minutes (record time!), and decided to take some time to get our daily dose of Vitamin D and enjoy the view (which will never be less than amazing!). It was incredibly peaceful and I could have spent all afternoon out on the mountain, looking out over the blanket of trees covering the scenery’s backdrop. It is so worth the short hike to the top, and the climb is far from boring. 


It’s hard to put it into words, so I think these photos will sum it up nicely.












No comments:

Post a Comment